Brief intro to Agileana
Who we are
Founded in 2007, formalized in 2010, and rebranded in 2015, Agileana is a lean; agile, web support services company focused primarily on government agencies and their IT needs. We are a woman-owned small business (WOSB) founded by Andrea Melo and Blake Newman. It's key leaders include Luis Cuellar and Shefali Naik. Agileana is headquartered in the Washington, DC metropolitan area but its employees are distributed around the world mostly in the United States (Miami, Chicago, Seattle, St. Lous, Maryland, and Virginia) and in Colombia (Bogotá and Cali). We are, and will always be, small but mighty.
What sets us apart
As our name implies, we are lean and agile. Clients typically find us, rather than us seeking them. Our deliberate slow-growth strategy reduces risk, errors, and omissions, which allows us to mature and evolve naturally and holistically. We have excellent CPARS ratings and are guided by the US Digital Services Agency (USDS) playbook and U.S. Web Design Systems (USWDS). User centered design (UCD) is at the core of our approach, so we are committed to usability and accessibility of the products we deliver. Because we are small and agile, we seek team members who are cross-functional and multi-talented. There is very little room for slack, so everybody pulls their weight, takes initiative, and self-organizes. Our company culture is strong and tight.
Speaking of Culture
We are patient and kind. We are proud yet humble. We do not envy or boast. We are not arrogant or rude. We do not insist on our own way. We are not irritable or resentful. We strive to do the right thing and be on the rights side of history. We seek the truth, respect data and science. We are fun and playful. Our jokes often fall flat. Because we are in it for the long haul, we seek long-term relationships with both clients and team members. We give people the benefit of the doubt, assume the best, work in good faith, and strive for win-win outcomes.
- "Thank you for all the great work. You delivered a great product under such a tight schedule and in a high stress environment. Data.gov could not have launched the new design without your help. Thank you.” Takahiko Naito, Project Manager, REI Systems.
- "I would be remiss if I didn't highlight how lost we would be without Virginia especially. Virginia is considered an extension of our internal staff. She has saved us from creating systems that wouldn't work as well by reminding us of our own operating procedures, and ensures success with every project she works on. We constantly have multiple projects happening at once, often completing deadlines. Virginia ensures we stay on track with these projects, as well as aware of every option available to us. Her project management skills are extraordinary and a testament to your organization at large. She approaches every project with enthusiasm and clarity, and is exceptionally reliable." Rebecca Copeland, Digital Projects Senior Analyst, Georgetown University on behalf of the U.S. Department of State (State Department)
- “Blake, You’ve been better than great…everyone here is very impressed.“ Julie Baker, Director, Business Development, DB Consulting Group
- “I wanted to personally stop and thank Felipe Ceballos, Megan and David for their tireless work over the past three LONG evenings. Our site looks amazing for this morning's launch. I greatly appreciate their hard work and dedication to making this happen. THANK YOU! You guys are awesome!“ Keary Crawford, Co-Founder / COO, Growth Cloud
What is the best thing about your job?
- Benji Damron - This is the best place I've ever worked. And I say that as a guy who has had at least 30 jobs over the years. I'm here for the long haul.
- Blake Newman - The best thing about my job is that I enjoy what I do. It’s fun. It doesn’t seem like work to me. Every day is different. It is challenging. I learn all the time. I love the people I work with. Everybody is so professional, competent, and caring. We have interesting clients and it is fun to be part of their team and mission. I also have a lot of autonomy. I can control the flow of my day, usually. It is a good mixture of reading, writing, interacting, thinking, etc.
- Shefali Naik - It's difficult to choose just one aspect since I enjoy multiple facets of this job. But flexibility would be my top pick. Being a working mom has its challenges but this job has helped me contribute effectively to work while not missing any of my motherly responsibilities. At Agileana, we care that the work gets done with quality and on-time not necessarily from 9 to 5. Also, I feel like a valued partner in the company and that is deeply gratifying.
- Christian Le Fournis - Great team vibe, we are consistently communicating about pretty much every aspect of the project, also great opportunities to learn and become a better developer.
- Juan (Flynn) Obando - It allows me to spend quality time with my special ones. It allows me to run unexpected errands and catch up with work on nights and/or weekends. Be able to work from any place in the world. Surrounded by great co-workers.
- Lucas Torres - Quality time with my family by avoiding commuting time to an office. My work partners, we've become more than that, we're friends. My salary, it's a great salary.
- Gordon Makely - I get to work with some really diverse and amazing people. They have talents both inside the office as well as outside. They are supportive of each other, whether it be about the work or about their personal lives.
- Tiffany Newman - I have the freedom and flexibility to touch on several aspects of a project in various roles. Since Agileana is not a large corporation, I'm treated as a human, not a number. Therefore, I'm able to get experience in different roles, rather than being confined to a narrow system. Since we're a small company, everyone's voice can be heard and there is ample room for everyone's growth.
- Felipe Ceballos - Thanks to our current practice of Agile methodology, we are in constant communication with the client and while there may be urgent tasks from time to time, we are usually managing the time in a way that we don't need rush, that gives us time to deliver quality. The project keeps bringing up some challenges, opportunities to acquire knowledge on technologies and ways to improve. I feel happy with my salary. I work from my place, where I feel comfortable, and which benefits the company since there are some savings on unnecessary expenses.
- Luis Cuellar - We find challenges in every project, the job is not boring. Work-life balance. Telework, I don't waste time commuting to an office. Be able to be closer to my family.
What is the best thing about the company.
- Blake Newman - The best thing about the company is that, well, there are a few. Of course, the people. I’ve worked with some of them for over 10 years. They are like my brothers and sisters and sons and daughters. They are my friends. We enjoy spending time with each other. They have great personalities and are fun to be around. The core founders of the company, the Colombians, are givers. They freely give their time, talent, and attention. They are not in it for themselves, per se. They are not takers. They are highly competent and responsible. The other part I like about the company is that it allows me to steer the direction of my future. I feel like I have control and autonomy. I have a life by design. I love working at home. I like our clients, our mission, our space.
- Shefali Naik - The best thing about the company is the culture that has been developed over the years. We are like an extended family who care about the success of the company but care equally about each other's lives. We celebrate our similarities and embrace our differences.
- Christian Le Fournis - I love the openness in the communication and the focus on agile methodology and the fact that we are a medium size company.
- Juan (Flynn) Obando - Pay a good salary. Support for training/certifications/conferences. The English-speaking environment which has helped to improve my English skills. Working in a fully agile environment.
- Gordon Makely - There is a dedicated group of extremely sharp people who are intent on pulling together as a team. All of whom are led by an extremely dedicated, proficient, forward-thinking person who sees the potential in the parts as well as the whole.
- Felipe Ceballos - Bonds, I think that while we may not be in constant contact, all the people in the company are nice, valuable as persons and professionals.
- Luis Cuellar - Friendly environment. Love the culture. Good benefits.
Back to Main Page